Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Busking 3 or 4 Chord Songs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...30313233343536...44
TOPIC: Busking 3 or 4 Chord Songs

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

Re: Busking 3 or 4 Chord Songs 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
Daryl - Hmmmm....breaking your own rules are we? LOL! Thoroughly, enjoyed your Ricky Nelson! A most definite excellent addition to the thread. Your playing was solid as ever!!! You did a great job once again! Nice singing, and the "speed up" sounded just right! Very cool! I like the music of Ricky Nelson...much, much, much, much, more that of his sons "Matthew" and "Gunnar" Nelson. Who of course took the name "Nelson" and made it synonymous with glam pop.

Did you know? The Nelson family is the only family(of the same bloodline) to have number one records for three successive generations...starting with Ozzie Nelson back in '34?
lueders
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Busking 3 or 4 Chord Songs 2 Years, 4 Months ago  
I'm very late to the party here, and I must admit that I haven't listened to a lot of the songs uploaded here.
I'll try and catch up.

Here's my offering.
Guest List by the Eels

I wasn't planning on uploading this just wanted to see how good, bad or dreadfull my vocals sounded.
So the angle of shot is all wrong.

If anyone is interested it's just 3 chords all the way through
F G and Am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.
mark
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
User Online Now Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male Location: Gloucestershire, England Birthday: 08/21

Well your on the list now,,listen to your own voice is a kinda weird but i must say the singin voice is there but also with guitar you have to practice and go thru a lot of exercises to improve or sing a lot,,for myself I know its very various,,there are songs I want to sing but can't and others go well,,also it aint easy playing and singin on the same time or find the good balance between guitar and voice or keep at key/melody/vocal,,I like singin but man I can mess up,,I love all the ,,secrets'' they tell on totally vocals,,well I'm rambling

I liked the way you play/pick/strum out the song

Willem
willem
summertime and the living is easy
Platinum Boarder
graph
Thank you for the days those endless days,those sacred days you gave me

Yay Mark! Welcome to the campfire party. I don't know your song but it's a great addition. Too bad you didn't capture your left hand. But very nice picking and strumming there....nice rhythm and syncopation. Looking forward to more uploads from you!

Cori - regarding the "speed up" in Mary Lou.....I have such a hard time singing that I usually don't go back and do a retake if I screw up the guitar part (like speeding up the tempo) because my singing is just too painful for me.
daryl
You can only be what you think you are.
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/28 07:59 By daryl.
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Hey Mark, very nice to hear you sing. I thought you sounded like a pro as if you wrote the song and have been singing it for a long time. You sound comfortable. I also like the percussive fingerstyle strumming, plucking the descending bass line. I find that it makes the song richer than only 3 chords.

Good to see you in this thread

Marc
Lavallee
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Longueuil, QC Canada Birthday: 06/03

Hi Mark,
I don't know that song or that band, but nice job on the strumming/picking and the singing was fine!
Jim
jimcjimc
And I'll know my song well before I start singing
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Guest List by the Eels, Not A song or band That I've heard till now.Well go and find them on the u-tube.

Well Mark,now the cats out of the bag.You can sing.You and Daryl both have that James Taylor type pick and strum.Love it man.And if so inclined to put up another one.and add to the campfire party.Both hands would be cool.

Bravo Mark!!!!
Kevin
dekotaj
No one had a rainbow baby,till thay had some rain
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Daryl - 6 (six!) chords.........gamekeeper turned poacher! Not to worry, a great song and good to see it here. Very nicely played and sung.

Mark - great to see you join the thread and very nice way to introduce this song to people. Nice little picking pattern.................and a warm welcome to the ranks of reluctant singers. As in so many thing, the first time's the hardest! What kind of pick up are you using there?

Stuart
reiver
Gie it laldy!
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/28 16:25 By reiver.
Whatever's written in your heart......that's all that matters.

daryl wrote:
I'm cheating here just a tad. This one isn't 4 chords (it's actually 6 chords) but it really is a VERY easy song and should be part of a campfire set.....hope you all don't mind ...I'll speak to the ref myself....wish me luck....

Hel(A)lo Mary Lou (D)goodbye heart
Sweet (A)Mary Lou I’m so in love with (E7)you
I (A)knew Mary Lou (Db7)we’d never (F#m)part
So hel(B7)lo Mary (E)Lou goodbye (A)heart (D) (A)

She (A)passed me by one sunny day
(D)Flashed those big brown eyes my way
And (A)ooh I wanted you for ever (E7)more
(A)I’m not one who gets around
(D)Swear my feet stuck to the ground
And (A)though I never (E)did meet you be(A)fore (D) (A)

I said….

I (A)saw your lips I heard you voice
(D)Believe me I just had no choice
Wild (A)horses couldn’t make me stay a(E7)way
I (A)thought about a moonlit night
(D)Arms around you good and tight
That’s (A)all I had to (E)see for me to (A)say (D) (A)

Hey hey…

Yes hel(A)lo Mary (E)Lou goodbye (A)heart
Hel(A)lo Mary (E)Lou goodbye (A)heart (D) (A)

OK who are you and what HAVE you done with Daryl? The Umpire would NEVER let a 6-chord song through. 50% more than the brief OUTRGEOUS!!! He will be SO pissed when he sees you've hijacked his name.

I see you've found the phantom's mask. And that you're playing from his closet. You even play with his cool pluck strick method. But I'm still not convinced.

Well whoever you are, this sure is a cute song and a good choice for this thread. Your singing is sweet and your playing is great. You don't actually look like you're changing the position of your thumb much but I can hear the alternating bass; always cool.

Great job!

Hey if Daryl's in the closet kick him out and lock the door will you. In fact break the handle off. Accidents do happen.

Sounds great.

Shel
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/28 17:03 By michelew.
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

michelew wrote:

OK who are you and what HAVE you done with Daryl? The Umpire would NEVER let a 6-chord song through. 50% more than the brief OUTRGEOUS!!! He will be SO pissed when he sees you've hijacked his name.

I see you've found the phantom's mask. And that you're playing from his closet. You even play with his cool pluck strick method. But I'm still not convinced.

Well whoever you are, this sure is a cute song and a good choice for this thread. Your singing is sweet and your playing is great. You don't actually look like you're changing the position of your thumb much but I can hear the alternating bass; always cool.

Great job!

Hey if Daryl's in the closet kick him out and lock the door will you. In fact break the handle off. Accidents do happen.

Sounds great.

Shel

Does the name ffsooo3 ring a bell?

Shel, you are way too funny.
daryl
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Mark,

It's GREAT to see and hear you add something to this thread. I love that you're singing. Fabulous. Keep it up. Adding vocals really adds another dimension to your performance and I feel like I've gotten to know you just that little bit more.

I was just thinking that I should start using Daryl's characteristic strum and here you are with a similar one which sounds great. I'm convinced.

Perfect song for this thread.

I really enjoyed it.

Shel
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Mark, alright cool!! WELCOME ABOARD!!

That was like "novocaine for the soul"...(boom-chick, whomp, whomp aaaa!!) A little Eels humor there.

I'm glad someone else remembers this band...I thought your playing on this was really great!! And you sang
too...sounded darn good to me!! I liked BOTH your picking & your vocals on this heck of a lot.

I'd like to say one more thing "before I flutter off"....(boom- chick whomp whomp whaaa!!)
It is so cool to see songs like this in this thread!! Where else are we gonna see some of these tunes?
I love this thread for that.

Great Job, Mark!!
lueders
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2012/02/28 18:31 By lueders.

Mark,

Very nicely done. I don't know the song, but I did like it and really liked you percussive strumming.

Thanks for the look

Bob
BobR
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Hanson, Massachusetts USA 02341 Birthday: 10/25
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. -- George Bernard Shaw

Mark,
I was wondering where you've been! Nice to see...and hear...from you! I'm not familiar with the tune, but I really liked it. Your playing was solid. I thought your vocals were good. In your text you sounded unsure, self conscience, regarding your singing but honestly, I thought it sounded nice. Very well done.

Craig
Craig
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Willem - thanks for your encouragement. I've looked at totally vocals but I'm put off by it's very technical approach.
My only desire for singing is to be the equivalent of a camp fire strummer. I'd like to be able to get there without having to do lots of technical exercises.

Daryl - thanks for your comments. I enjoyed your version of Mary Lou. That song was in one of the first guitar books I ever bought by Russ Shipton.
Brougt back song memories.

Marc - Like you say the number of chords a song has nothing to do with how interesting it is. I've recently re-visited the first song I learnt - Sinner Man with two chords and it doesn't seem to make any difference that it only has 2 chords.

Jim - thanks for your comments. The Eels were a 90's american indie band. I really liked their first album but so much after that. This song puts itself cery much in the 90's by including the lines about a "walkie talkie". If they were to write it now I'm sure it would be an iphone or an ipad.

Kevin - thanks. I've been using that pick/strum type of playing a lot recently. I find it very versatile. The strums on the 2 and 4 can be completly percussive, more of a strum (like in this one), or even target a melody note.

Stuart - yeah definately a reluctant singer. I've spent years thinking i couldn't sing a note so it's encouraging that I can at least have a go at some songs.

Shel - Starting to sing has opened up some doors for. it starts to make the connection between what you hear in your head or sing and what you play on the fretboard.

Leuders - I'm glad somebody else remebers this band. Not everybodies cup of tea - you have to be into angst ridden songs.

Bob - Thanks for the encouragement. It's quite an easy song if you want to give it a go

Craig - Yeah I'm quite new to vocals. Still got a long way to go but it's a start.
mark
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Gender: Male Location: Gloucestershire, England Birthday: 08/21

Hi Mark, this is a nice mellow mood, I did not know this song, your voice is quite right for it. There are lots of tunes that come to mind that would fit you like a glove.
For example, "John Barleycorn Must Die" (?) ... Your strumming is nicely efficient too. Here it looks like you consistently use your index finger for downstrokes, I wonder if you sometimes also use the middle finger for them ?

Great addition !
Pierre
cosmicmechanic
A place for everything, and everything someplace
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
He could have lived forever if he hadn't died trying

mark wrote:
[quote]Willem - thanks for your encouragement. I've looked at totally vocals but I'm put off by it's very technical approach.
My only desire for singing is to be the equivalent of a camp fire strummer. I'd like to be able to get there without having to do lots of technical exercises.

I think I understand what you mean,,I also think you don't have to do many execises,just take a view and when you have a song just sing 5note paterns in that key,,maybe for warming up,,that said I must try that out myself..

just my 2cents

Willem
willem
summertime and the living is easy
Platinum Boarder
graph
Thank you for the days those endless days,those sacred days you gave me

[b]lueders wrote:[/b
[quote

Do you do "I'm So lonesome I Could Cry" I have an arrangement of it in E. Just E, A, Bminor7. It could sure use some sprucing up.
Any chance you might put that one up one of these days?

OK.Cori, "I'm So lonesome I Could Cry" Sorry no sprucing up.Cant get the little fill to come out.

OK My Illinois brother.You know how this works.I could not ask you to do a video,without putting this up first.So the one I would love to see you do.Or better yet you and your lovely wife,is.

Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs - Little Red Riding Hood

OR maybe like this???

dekotaj
No one had a rainbow baby,till thay had some rain
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Kevin, Another great addition to the thread. Thanks for putting it up. And good job with the vocals. No holes in your pitch bucket!
daryl
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Mark- Sorry I missed your upload! I loved it and thought your vocals really suited the song. I also really like that picking/strumming thing you're doing. It's something I'd for sure like to get better at.

Kevin- Another great song from you! Loved your playing and your vocals. You've thrown down the gauntlet for Cori. Do you think he'll take up the challenge?

Suzi
suziko
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1...30313233343536...44