Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

>>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: >>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull

Like and share this with your friends on Facebook

>>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull 6 Years, 4 Months ago  
Today's Target and pay per lesson release is now live.

Living In The Past*was released as a single in the U.K. in 1969 but became Jethro Tull’s first Top 40 hit in the U.S. when it was released there in 1972. It is one of a very small number of songs written in 5/4 time and the lesson goes over strumming in this time very extensively.

It also uses barre chords exclusively, high on the neck, changing quickly. It can be played using 4-string version of the common barre chords and this approach is covered as well.

Hope you enjoy this

Cheers

Matt

www.totallyguitars.com/target-songs/jeth...tar-lesson.html#song

TGMatt
Admin
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: >>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull 3 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
This is kind of a fascinating phenomenon, to me anyway. I'm learning Chet Atkins' version of "Take Five." I've been working on it for about a week, and over the past couple of days, when it's not going through my head, "Living in the Past" is. I forgot this lesson was here, and I searched YouTube for a solo guitar version. Neil's lesson preview was the first thing to come up. In it, he makes mention of the 5/4 time signature, which it shares with "Take Five." Obviously, working on "Take Five" put this song in my head because of the rhythm.

But for the life of me, as hard as I try, I simply cannot get myself to understand time signatures on an intellectual/cognitive level. I guess I don't really have to, as I'm not a pro musician, and clearly my intuitive sense of rhythm is good enough for me to play, including in unusual time signatures. But there's no way I could tell you where the five beats come in on either of these songs. To me, both songs sound like four beats at a time. Like:

Happy and I'm (4)

Smilin, walk a (4)

Mile to drink your (4)

Water (2), then a 2-beat rest, I guess?

I know that's not right, but when I try to actually count, that's what I get. When I try to count out sets of five beats in these songs, I get totally lost, as I do on many songs of all time signatures (waltz time is usually easier).

I'm not looking for any help or anything - I just find it really interesting, how the brain works.

unclewalt
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2017/06/29 00:07 By unclewalt.

Re: >>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull 3 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
The TG library is such a treasure trove that I've lost track of what's in there. At some point I'd like to get into this just to get 5/4 under my fingers; which is such a cool time signature.

Nice find uncle Walt.

Thanks Neil!

M
michelew
Life's good - without music ...not so much...
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph
So many things to learn, so many songs in my 'must learn queue' - if only I didn't have to sleep...wow...that would be great!

Thx again Uncle Walt... i hadn't looked at this lesson before either... i seem to have the 5/4 thing down (at least on this song haha) but gosh those barre chords are exhausting !!

/ david
davidrfinn99165
Peace and Love, Citizens
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Re: >>Today's Target and Pay Per Lesson release - Living In The Past - Jethro Tull 2 Weeks ago  
Neil has often mentioned the importance of playing successions of notes on the same string with different fingers. This is really, really hard for me in most cases, so I've avoided it. But learning "Take Five" is convincing me that I have to buckle down and do it - I can tell how much better it sounds when I do it even in a half-assed way.

So my plan is to practice the main "Take Five" riff doing this about a billion times, as well as the main riff of "Take On Me," which sounds fine when I use just one finger for those notes, but I think will sound much better once I get this technique down.

I think it will be a long, hard slog, but the benefits will be worth it. If I'm going to be playing at this level, I might as well do it right.

www.totallyguitars.com/target-songs/526-...5591-take-on-me.html
unclewalt
Platinum Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1